Contact lenses have developed enormously over the last decade, and have increased in popularity. They can be worn to correct vision, or for cosmetic or therapeutic reasons. A contact lens is a medical device, and requires a prescription and must be fitted properly by a licensed eye care professional.
Contact lenses have many benefits we all love, however are not risk-free, which is why careful handling and following proper care hygiene is important.
Here are some TIPS on contact lens care to keep your eyes healthy:
- Always wash your hands with soap and water before handling your contact lenses. Dry your hands with a lint-free towel. Avoid applying any creams to your hands before insertion or removal of your contact lenses.
- Do not insert a lens in the eye if it’s red, irritated or in pain. Contact your optometrist immediately if this occurs.
- If you are using a reusable lens, it must be soaked in an appropriate saline solution that has been recommended by your Optometrist. Never re-use old solution.
- Replace your contact lens case every 3 months.
- Never rinse your lenses with tap water. Always use prescribed solution to clean or soak your lenses. NEVER use saliva to clean your lenses!
- Avoid hot tubs, water sports and showering with your contacts. Exposing your lenses to water can increase the likelihood of infection.
If you are interested in trying contact lenses or want to switch into a different type of lens, our Stoney Creek optometrists will be able to help you. Our clinic fits various types of contact lenses including dailies, bi-weekly, monthly and specialty lenses.
Book your appointment today by calling 289-309-1090!